Old Historical Photos of Camden,NJ

July 24 1962 – Steps from pedestrian overpass over Rt. 130 at Federal Street Camden NJ, seem to lead right into the street area. The Penn Fruit sign on the right at top.

  This toll-gate on the Haddonfield and Camden Turnpike was located next to what today is the recently closed Dominican Monastery of the Holy Rosary. The photo was taken from what is now a parking lot for Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center.
The Haddonfield-Camden Turnpike is now called Haddon Avenue. It was established as a turnpike in 1839. The county took over ownership of the road in 1893.

[ Philadelphia skyline from foot of Jackson St.

Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Line Passenger Cars. Watched this speed by many times while in the Pavonia Yard in East Camden.   Toll Toll House at 36th and Federal   The Toll House building is still there at 36th and Federal   “On July 6, 1939, the postal service placed an autogiro aircraft into use flying mail between the Central Airport at Camden, New Jersey to the roof of the main Philadelphia, Pennsylvania post office.”
“The autogyro was invented by the Spanish engineer Juan de la Cierva. Cierva’s aircraft resembled the fixed-wing aircraft of the day, with a front-mounted engine and propeller. De la Cierva’s autogyro used an airplane fuselage with a forward-mounted propeller and engine, a rotor mounted on a mast, and a horizontal and vertical stabilizer. The term Autogiro was a trademark of the Cierva Autogiro Company, and the term Gyrocopter was used by E. Burke Wilford who developed the Reiseler Kreiser feathering rotor equipped gyroplane in the first half of the twentieth century.”
The National Postal Museum

When it came to paper money, the banks would be responsible backing the value of the paper money. The U.S. Mint would print the paper money for the banks.
This certified proof’s are from the 1880’s and 1890’s the First National Bank of Camden . First Camden National Bank & Trust is located in Camden, Camden County, New Jersey, United States. The building was built in 1928 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 24, 1990.
The bank that was headquartered here changed its name to South Jersey National Bank in the 1960s and to Heritage Bank in the 1970s. It later merged with Midlantic National Bank, which was ultimately acquired by PNC Bank.

Horn and Hardart and the Broadway Theatre in Camden

Camden Toll House on Haddon Avenue now the site of Lady of Lourdes Hospital

     5th & Pine Gaudio Bros. Nursery Mt Ephraim Ave[/caption]

Gaudio Bros. Nursery Mt Ephraim Ave

Minnie’s Go-Go Bar  Photograph by George A. Tice 1975

Forest Hill Park at Cooper Creek (River)


1928 Motorcycle Police at City Hall

“On July 6, 1939, the postal service placed an autogiro aircraft into use flying mail between the Central Airport at Camden, New Jersey to the roof of the main Philadelphia, Pennsylvania post office.”
“The autogyro was invented by the Spanish engineer Juan de la Cierva. Cierva’s aircraft resembled the fixed-wing aircraft of the day, with a front-mounted engine and propeller. De la Cierva’s autogyro used an airplane fuselage with a forward-mounted propeller and engine, a rotor mounted on a mast, and a horizontal and vertical stabilizer. The term Autogiro was a trademark of the Cierva Autogiro Company, and the term Gyrocopter was used by E. Burke Wilford who developed the Reiseler Kreiser feathering rotor equipped gyroplane in the first half of the twentieth century.”
The National Postal Museum

The Floating Church of the Redeemer.
As seen on the Delaware in the late 1840’s early 1850’s. Built by Clement L. Dennington of New York for the Churchmen’s Missionary Association for Seamen of the Port of Philadelphia.
The church would later be towed onto land in the City of Camden and be located at Broadway and Royden Street becoming St. John’s Episcopal Church. It was destroyed by a fire on Christmas morning in 1870. Patrick Ward

The Floating Church of the Redeemer.
As seen on the Delaware in the late 1840’s early 1850’s. Built by Clement L. Dennington of New York for the Churchmen’s Missionary Association for Seamen of the Port of Philadelphia.
The church would later be towed onto land in the City of Camden and be located at Broadway and Royden Street becoming St. John’s Episcopal Church. It was destroyed by a fire on Christmas morning in 1870. Patrick Ward

What is now Martin Luther King Jr Boulevard (then called Mickle Street) in 1890. Walt Whitman’s two-story home is to the right of the wagon.

Victor Talking Machine Company – Gene Haines (hatless man on left ) stands with three unidentified men outside the first office of the Victor Talking Machine Company in Camden New Jersey circa 1902. Temple University Libraries

Saint John’s Church in Camden about 1914

Soldier’s Monument Near Haddon Avenue & Convention Hall

Light Ship Barnegat LV-79 is now docked at Pyne Poynt Marina in Camden. “The Barnegat was built in 1904 by the New York Shipbuilding Company in Camden. The vessel served from 1904 to 1924 as the lightship for Five Fathom Bank, which is located 15 miles (24 km) from the Cape May Lighthouse”

M&H Sweet Shop 2406 Federal

September 16, 1887 on the Delaware between Camden and Philadelphia during the Constitutional Centennial. Photo by Horace Githens. http://www.dvrbs.com/people/CamdenPeople-HoraceGGithens.htm

Broadway and Federal Street in 1961.

Camden Retires Fire Horses

Camden Fire Department 1916

Camden Cyclone Vine St W of 5th 04/02/1912

Camden Cyclone Vine St 04/02/1912

Camden Cyclone Sharpless Row 05/22/1908

Camden Cyclone NE corner Vine 04/02/1912

Camden Cyclone Elm St 02/04/1912

Camden Cyclone Cedar St 04/02/1912

Camden Cyclone 15th and Market 05/22/1908

Camden Cyyclone 6th & Vine

Camden Cyclone 4th St 04/02/1912

Camden Cyclone 04/02/1912

CAMDEN & TUCKERTON, NJ.  IMPROVED ORDER OF RED MEN WORD WAR I WAR MEMORIAL. The Improved Order of Red Men,in memory of South Jersey members who died while serving with America’s armed forces during World War I. Nicola Berardo, a sculptor who lived in Camden, was commissioned to execute project. The monument was originally located on the Haddon Avenue side of Pulaski Park in Camden NJ. It was moved to Route 9 and Center Street in Tuckerton NJ, where it was rededicated on May 21, 1981.

CAMDEN & TUCKERTON, NJ IMPROVED ORDER OF RED MEN WORD WAR I WAR MEMORIAL The Improved Order of Red Men,in memory of South Jersey members who died while serving with America’s armed forces during World War I. Nicola Berardo, a sculptor who lived in Camden, was commissioned to execute project. The monument was originally located on the Haddon Avenue side of Pulaski Park in Camden NJ. It was moved to Route 9 and Center Street in Tuckerton NJ, where it was rededicated on May 21, 1981.

Old City Hall-Camden’s first city hall was built in 1876 at the corner of Benson Street and Haddon Avenue, where present day Cooper University Hospital (Kelemen Pavilion at 1 Cooper Plaza) is located. 1914

Old City Hall-Camden’s first city hall was built in 1876 at the corner of Benson Street and Haddon Avenue, where present day Cooper University Hospital (Kelemen Pavilion at 1 Cooper Plaza) is located. 1914

Another view of old City Hall in Camden

One of several early Cooper houses in Camden

View of Old Cooper Hospital about 1910

The 3rd Regiment Armory in Camden about 1910

Linden Street in Camden in the early 1900s

Haddon Ave and Pine Street

Cooper Street around 1912

Cooper St from 2nd St in Camden

Cooper Hospital From Old City Hall circa 1893

Cooper Branch Public Library

Camden YMCA circa 1910 on Federal St Camden New Jersey

Broadway and Walnut St  Camden, NJ

View of Lake & Bridge at Farnum Park Camden, NJ

Broadway from the Bridge Entrance – Walt Whitman Hotel – City Hall

An early view of Pyne Point in Camden

Damage from the 1912 cyclone Camden, NJ

2nd Street in Camden during the winter in early circa 1910

Vine St and 4th St Camden New-Jersey Apr 2, 1912 Storm damage

Admiral Wilson Blvd westbound near Baird Blvd Camden, New Jersey 1960s

Admiral Wilson Boulevard 1950s. The building behind the Esso station became the Oasis Motel.

Oasis Motel Camden, NJ featured in the movie 12 Monkeys

Wiggins Park Construction circa 1981

NORTH AND SOUTH COMMONS, YORKSHIP VILLAGE A Housing-Development -1918

Historic Homes Camden, New Jersey

Cooper Plaza Historic Homes Camden, New Jersey

Cooper Plaza Historic Homes Camden, New Jersey

Monastery of the Dominican Nuns of the Perpetual Rosary on Haddon Avenue Camden, New Jersey

M.E. Church near 5th & Cooper, Camden, New-Jersey

Cooper Plaza Historic Homes Camden, NJ

Broadway and Spruce Camden, NJ 1951

Blessed Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital Camden, NJ

Bell Telephone Co.-Workers strike outside the Camden plant in 1952

Bell Telephone Co.-Workers strike outside the Camden plant in 1952

Westfield Acres 1940 CAMDEN,NEW JERSEY

Westfield Acres 1938 CAMDEN,NEW JERSEY

Dr. Henry Genet Taylor House, 305 Cooper Street Camden New Jersey It was built in 1884 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 12, 1971.

Motorcycle Police in front of City Hall Camden nj

Fairview Terminal, better known as Shorty’s Camden, New Jersey

Cooper Creek Boat Houses Foot of 17th St circa 1900 Camden, New Jersey

Westfield Acres Camden, New Jersey

Westfield Acres  Camden, New Jersey

Shellow’s Luncheonette Camden, NJ with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Shellow’s Luncheonette Camden, NJ with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Shellow’s Luncheonette Camden, NJ with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Shellows Luncheonette with Bill Shellow Camden, New Jersey

Lee & Bill Shellow 1980 Shellows Luncheonette Camden, New Jersey

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band at Apollo Bar 1978 East Camden NJ

Marbett’s Restaurant Admiral Wilson Blvd & Baird

Camden Police New Recruits 1981

New Recruits of the Camden Police force in 1981

The old Camden County Court House Camden, New Jersey

River Rd at Cambridge & 27th St, Cramer Hill section of Camden NJ

Camden Free Library ( old Dudley Grange) Camden, New Jersey

C Jackel Flowers 27th St Camden NJ

Parkade Building in front of Camden City Hall

Construction of Camden City Hall

Admiral Wilson Blvd ( US Route 30 ) between Baird Blvd and the Airport Circle circa 1960s Camden, New Jersey. This photo was used in a 1960s article in MAD Magazine about “America The Beautiful”.

Co.-7 City of Camden Fire Department July 1, 1910 on Kaigh Ave

Old Courthouse Demolition Broadway & Federal St Camden, New Jersey

Engine Company #9 Fire House 27th & Federal Camden, New Jersey

Farnum Park – Pavilion-on-Ice , Kaighn Ave Camden, New Jersey

Mayor Primas – Wayne Bryant & other politicians  Camden, New Jersey

Theaters on Broadway Camden NJ – Stanley and Savar Camden, New Jersey

Victrola – Victor Talking Machine Co

Victrola – Victor Talking Machine Co

Victrola – Victor Talking Machine Co

View along Arch Street circa 1908 Camden, New Jersey

2600 Block of River Road Camden, New Jersey

Camden Free Library Dudley Grange  Camden, New Jersey

Victoria Theater 26th and Federal Camden NJ

Campbell’s Field  Camden, New Jersey

RCA Victrola Camden NJ                                                                                                                                                                                               

Mayors Arnold Webster, Randy Primas, Gwendolyn Faison ( first 3 named, 4th not a mayor )  Camden, New Jersey

RCA Strike July, 1936 with woman holding sign upside down Camden, New Jersey.

Camden Beer Scoreboard  Camden, New Jersey

RCA Nipper Camden, New Jersey

3rd and Arch St circa 1975 Camden, New Jersey (There a somewhat restored photo further down)

Lit Brothers Broadway & Market St Camden, New Jersey

3rd & Arch St Camden, New Jersey

Hope Memorial Baptist Camden, New Jersey

Federal St at 27th St & Baird Blvd Camden, New Jersey 1950s

Old Jordan Homestead 1173 Chestnut St. Camden, New Jersey – Erected 1747

Geraldine Ferraro at Camden, NJ City Hall

J.B. Van Sciver Co.

J.B. Van Sciver Co.

East Side Cafe at 24th & Federal Camden, NJ

RCA Nipper Building Camden, NJ

Campbell Soup complex 1909

Camden may be a PRR Station near Haddon Avenue Camden, NJ.

Ready to open Rte 676 1980 Camden, nj

West Street Camden, NJ circa 1989

Battleship USS New Jersey BB-62 on her final journey to her home port in Camden New Jersey.

Camden towards Philadelphia

Battleship USS New Jersey BB-62 at her final resting place in Camden New Jersey.

Federal Street Bridge Camden, Nj

Federal Street Bridge 1912

Entrance to Campbells Field

camden county court house circa 1904

RCA Nipper

Sinclair Station on Cooper St. Later it was a Trailways Bus Station

Cooper Street

C. Jackel Flowers

Camden Police horse drawn patrol wagon 1890

Haddon Ave

Chief Jim Howell Electrical Bureau Camden, NJ

Dudley Grange Camden, NJ 8-21-1980 fire

Old Courthouse Demolition Camden, NJ

Philadelphia Skyline from Camden, New Jersey with RCA Nipper Building

RCA and City Hall Camden, NJ

Grace Baptist Church Camden, NJ

Camden New Jersey

Broadway and Federal St Camden, NJ City Electrical Bureau Repairing Traffic Light 1962

Fire at 3rd & Cooper St Camden, NJ

Ben Franklin Bridge

Ben Franklin Bridge with view of downtown Camden, NJ

Police Ceremony with Randy Primas

Police Ceremony with Randy Primas 1981

Entrance to Forest Hill Park and Boulevard, Camden, NJ

Camden Republican Club circa 1910

Old Cooper Hospital

Broadway Station 100 block S. Broadway looking north from Stevens St shortly after the tracks were elevated through Camden.

Broadway Station of Pennsylvania Rail Road Camden, NJ

Fire destroys Elgin Diner Camden NJ

Camden Carnival Celebrating the opening of the Carnegie Library October-1-1904

Elgin Diner Camden New Jersey

Cooper’s Ferry – Camden New Jersey 1773 Boat traffic across the Delaware River.

Chubbys Hearth matchbooks

Elgin Diner Camden New Jersey

The Blizzard of 1958 February 17 Federal Street Between Broadway and 7th

Penn St West Of 4th St

Fairview Circle (1951), Intersection of Rt. 130 and Mt. Ephraim Avenue “You are at Mt. Ephraim Avenue and Collings Road. The large building at the top left of the picture is Crane Company which sold bath tubs and sinks. If you looked more to the left, you would see Daly’s Tavern. You would be looking towards Camden.” Mike Daly (April 24, 2007) Courtesy Kevin Friel, Fairview Village Historical Society “Look to the left side for the Esso sign. Just to the right of that sign is a building clearly marked ‘White Tower.’ Behind it is the Chrysler-Plymouth dealership. Across the intersection is the Tydol building which the caption states was torn down along with the house behind it for the new intersection. Behind those buildings would be where the trailer park is now. So the road bending to the left is Mt. Ephraim Avenue, heading towards Mt. Ephraim. The road bending towards the right is Rt. 130 heading towards Brooklawn. The mass of cars stopped at the intersection are actually heading south on Rt. 130 just past the rear of where the Crescent movie was.” Michael Costello (April 25, 2007) Courtesy Courier-Post Kevin Riordan
Campbell Soup Company 1935 On a good day Jersey truck farmers could have brought in 300,000 baskets of tomatoes
Campbell Soup 1935
Campbell Soup Company making tomato soup in 1935
Packing the round TV tubes at RCA in Camden 1946
Kogan’s Drug Store Circa 1950
Kogan’s Drug Store – East Camden, NJ circa 1950
Benjamin Cooper House built in 1734.
Camden Beer Coaster
F.W. Woolworth & Co. 5 and 10 Cent Store
Old Front Wheel Drive Fire Engine with snow chains
RCA records 1905
This toll-gate on the Haddonfield and Camden Turnpike was located next to what today is the recently closed Dominican Monastery of the Holy Rosary. The photo was taken from what is now a parking lot for Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center. The Haddonfield-Camden Turnpike is now called Haddon Avenue. It was established as a turnpike in 1839. The county took over ownership of the road in 1893.
The Esterbrook Pen Company 1858 to 1964 at 10 Cooper Street. Richard Esterbrook renamed his company the Esterbrook Steel Pen Manufacturing Company when he relocated to Camden, New Jersey The Esterbrook Pens Co. plant stood at Cooper Street and Delaware Avenue in Camden for several decades. Founded in 1858 in Camden by Richard Esterbrook, the plant was moved to Cherry Hill in 1964. In 1967, it became the Venus- Esterbrook company and by 1969, it closed its Cherry Hill plant. Photo circa 1920.
Panzarotti By Tarantini Marlton & Berkley St, Camdem, NJ
Erlton Italian Bakery – Marlton and Berkley credit Dundy Roque
Camden High School, The Castle On The Hill
Olga’s Diner on Federal St,Camden
Camden’s Engine Company No 6 in its heyday
Restored Fire HouseCamden’s Engine Company No 6
Newton near Haddon
Market St at 3rd
Broadway North from Royden
Skateland 1715 Mt Ephraim Ave
Admiral Wilson Blvd
Kaighn Ave West of Broadway
Campbell Soup Wagon
Sears & Roebucks
2500 Block of Federal St
Blanton Dunn Company
Airport Motors
Cooper St
Berglund Motors Ad
De Simone Cadillac
Templin Motors
Airport Pontiac
Airport Pontiac
Ingram Oldsmobile East Camden
Petty’s Island 1924
January 1931 – Camden Free Public Library
TYDEMAN & DOOLEY were a pair of comedic acrobats who starred on the B.F. Keith vaudeville circuit in the 1900s and 1910s. VINCENT TYDEMAN was born in Camden, New Jersey on August 24,1883. He was a superb athlete, excelling at acrobatics, track and field, and baseball. He had a successful career in vaudeville and professional baseball in the 1900s and 1910s. He was of a generation of North Camden children who went on to become notable stage performers.
Firefighters pose on Camden’s first motorized apparatus at Firehouse № 1 which was located at 409 Pine Street. The city had bought two 1912 Robinson Hose & Chemical Wagons which had 40 gallon chemical tanks, 250 feet of ¾” chemical hose, 1000 feet of 2½” water hose and a turret nozzle.
Petty’s Island view over Camden 1909
Howland Croft Sons Co – Broadway-Jefferson
Cartun Hardware 36th & Federal
Camden Bargain Days
Carvel Marlton & Bank St
WHIZ – RM Hollingshead Fire 1940
Walt-Whitman House in-Camden
605 Cooper St The large house in the foreground of was built in 1887 by William Scull
Camden Library Broadway & Line Street April-1967
RCA VIctor Nipper Panel Truck
Route 5 Trolly Federal Street Loop
South Camden Bakery Moved from 4th and Division Streets to Decatur Street
Roneys Restaurant Haddon Avenue Route 130
Looking west from City Hall Camden October 13, 1964 (2)
Cooper St West of 5th
The Grand Theatre 207 South Broadway – Opened in 1915 and closed circa 1950
Stanley Theater Broadway Market
North Theater Elm & Main Street Also known as The Stinko
Arlo Theatre 26th Hundred Block of Westfield
Arlo Theatre 26th Hundred Block of Westfield
Camdens’ own Cindy Birdsong on the left visits Camden High with Diana-Ross
Olgas Diner
Olgas Diner in Camden on-December 13,1981 – 1600 Federal Street
Federal and Broadway
Broadway and Spruce 1951
Taylor Bros Grain Elevator Coopers Point
Camden Ferry Boat 1913
Childs Grocery store on Haddon Avenue pictured here circa 1910-1920. Samuel Canning Childs merged his stores with 5 other independent grocery store owners to form the American Stores Company later Acme Markets (from the Facebook of the Haddon Township Historical Society)